Facebook Youtube

Rent Subsidy for Low Income Housing in Ponoka & Rimbey

The rent subsidy program was established by Alberta Seniors and Housing to help address the housing needs throughout Alberta.

Rent Assistance Benefit

The Rent Assistance Benefit Program provides a rent subsidy for tenants to assist with their monthly rent to their individual private landlord within our service area.


Seniors also can apply to this program! If you're a senior, we'll be more than happy to assist you  either here or with our Supportive Senior Living or Senior Apartment Living!

How can this program help me?

The amount offered for assistance is calculated on the difference between the tenant's qualified rent and 30% of their income, up to a maximum subsidy amount of $450, which is then fixed for a year. Eligibility for continued help is subject to continued eligibility and ongoing funding that's reviewed every year.

Am I eligible for this low income housing program?

To qualify for the rent subsidy, applicants must be one of the following: Canadian Citizens; independent landed immigrants or government sponsored landed immigrants. Another eligibility criterion is the total assets cannot exceed the limit of $25,000. The total gross household income for eligible candidates cannot exceed the income listed below. This is based on the number of bedrooms you are eligible for.

Bedroom Size Maximum Income per Year
Bachelor/Studio $32,000
One Bedroom $35,000
Two Bedroom $41,500
Three Bedroom $45,500
Four + Bedrooms $49,000

* This program is available for people renting a legal suite (such as townhouse, apartment, house etc)

Proof of Income and Rent
To take advantage of this low income housing option, applicants must submit proof of income and rent through the application process and review.

What else should I know?

Landlord Tenant Relationship

Tenants must sign the lease agreement with their private landlord. Under the agreement, the tenant is liable to follow rules and regulations of the Landlord and Tenant Act.

Additionally, any questions related to rent payments, maintenance of the residential premises, issues with neighbours, emergencies after hours, etc., should be directed to the property landlord and not to Rimoka Housing Foundation.

To learn more, please contact us.